Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sculpting Clay Recipe

No Sculpey clay...no problem!
Make your own snowman nose:

Hello ladies ~Yesterday when I found out that a few ladies didn't have a craft shop near by where they could get Sculpey, I did a little research. Now we all know Aleene's Famous Bread Dough Clay, and that works fine. I just don't care for the smell of the result much,and I thought there should be something else.
Well I have two recipes for you....t
he first one is my favorite...it results in a "clay " which is soft and silky in texture and so easy to work with. I love it...I left mine white since I intend to use it for a number of projects, then when I use it I can add colour to whatever amount I use at the time.
Recipe # 1:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup baking soda
Mix all the ingredients together and cook over medium heat, stirring until a ball forms. This happens quickly! Remove it from the pan and mix thoroughly with your hands. Put in Polybag and seal; DO NOT Refridgerate. Air dry..don't bake.
This 2nd recipe is also very nice...because my glycerin also contains rosewater and the coldcream has a soft scent as well the clay smells pretty. This recipe results in quite a bit of "clay".
Recipe # 2:
3/4 cup white glue
1 cup Cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. cold cream
1 tsp. glycerin
Mix wet ingredients until smooth over meduim heat. Cook for a few minutes, add Cornstarch. Stir constantly until it forms a ball. This doesn't take long! Remove from pan and mix thoroughly with your hands. Cover with plastic or put in a plastic bag and seal. Do Not Refridgerate! ~AIR DRY...don't bake.

Both recipes are air dry and very quickly I might add .Also...from checking on mine a few minutes ago...I can tell you the recipe for number 1 will give you a "clay" which is very dense white in colour while the second recipe has an almost translucent quality about it which I really like.

****PLEASE REMEMBER****When using any "clay" product which contains White Glue, be sure to seal your finished product with a clear varnish product ! Bugs LOVE White Glue!!!I'll be using my "clays" to make roses and buttons and other embellishments I can use on my Snowmen. This was a fun way to spend an afternoon.I hope this will be new to some of you and will be useful as well.
Hugs 'n Stitches,
Wanda in Nova Scotia